Dennis, Alex, Bill, Stephen

alex lantsberg wideye at ziplink.net
Tue Sep 21 10:29:31 PDT 1999

alex lantsberg wrote:

> Amazing, that you cannot hear the Gradgrind austerity in your own

> comments. Keep the costs down! the workers are consuming too much! More?

> What do you mean more, boy? From whose perspective are the funds running

> out? From the perspective of the ruling class, for whom all expenditure

> on working class consumption is a waste.

> jim, you are clinging to the misguided belief that more consumption equals more prosperity.

Make room, Jim, I want to cling there too. And I suspect that pretty much everyone outside the

upper-middle classes of the first world feels the same way. That's roughly 96% of world

population, so

that belief is going to get pretty crowded.

let me rephrase that then to say that more consumption of a wasteful item equals better quality of life. i dont see how consuming four hours of my day sitting in traffic, paying for the gas, and gritting my teeth through it all improves my quality of life. sounds to me like i've been duped into believing that i'm better off that if i sat on a train for 45 minutes, or rode a bike for an hour.

wojtek said something about the fetishism cult. hear hear!

alex