Dennis, Alex, Bill, Stephen

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 21 10:10:03 PDT 1999

Jim heartfield wrote:

>Want an acceptable formula for 'too many people'? Try 'too many cars'.
>That neat sublimation of your anti-mass intent will disguise the
>misanthropic meaning, just enough to allow you to communicate your
>hatred of working people to your fellows.

Not at all. I'm militantly anti-Malthusian. I like people. I like big cities where lots of people are collected, which is why I live in one. I hate cars though. They foul the air, kill lots of people, and lead to the creation of hideous and atomizing expressways and malls. The city I live in is home to half carless households in the U.S. that are above the poverty line. There aren't many other places in the U.S. you can live without a car unless you want to walk 3 miles lugging your groceries.

Doug