CAR SURVEY

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 21 12:02:12 PDT 1999

Jim heartfield wrote:

>But in all fairness, I don't think that Alex, Bill, Carrol, Michael,
>Doug, Wojtek, Stephen or Carl should be denouncing car use without
>telling us how they get about.
>
>Wojtek makes a very closely argued case that the car is a waste of
>money. So how about it gents? Have you got rid of your car yet?
>
> Car owner? Cyclist? Public transport to work?
>Alex
>Bill
>Carrol
>Michael
>Doug
>Wojtek
>Stephen
>Carl

I haven't owned a car in 20 years. I didn't have what New York State calls a "driver license" for almost 10 years - my license was so long expired that I had to start all over, with a learner's permit and a road test, in the summer of 1997. Now I drive a rented car several times a year. I take a taxi several times a week. Mostly, I walk or take public transportation. I'd ride a bike, but the damn cars scare me.

But I have these options. Most people in the U.S. have no choice but to drive - even in cities. Getting around the Bay Area without a car is no picnic, and that's one of the areas with better public transportation. Chicago's pretty good, but the el is slower, and service less frequent, than the NYC subway.

Doug