CAR SURVEY

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Sep 21 14:05:27 PDT 1999

Lots of interesting contributions on the car.

But in all fairness, I don't think that Alex, Bill, Carrol, Michael,

Doug, Wojtek, Stephen or Carl should be denouncing car use without

telling us how they get about.

Wojtek makes a very closely argued case that the car is a waste of

money. So how about it gents? Have you got rid of your car yet?

I usually drive in. On a good day it takes about 35 min. On a lousy one, 50. One out of six days are lousy (one way). Metro takes an extra 15 minutes. Cost is in the same neighborhood (metro parking, $2.50; subway each way, $2.50; parking downtown, $10). Where I live, I usually get a seat, but many others get on later and have to stand. It can be hard to read, standing in a crowded train.

I'd get more reading done on the subway, but I wouldn't be able to shut all my windows and turn up the Four Seasons or the Isley Bros. full blast. Plus you can't eat on the Metro (they bust you and have been known to strip search). I can polish off an Egg McMuffin, hash browns, and OJ on the way in when I drive. Plus I will be cool, warm, and dry as desired.

Free subways (which I'm for) would be more crowded, and not necessarily more ample in terms of trains, since they would have to rely on Congress or whomever for non-fare revenue.

I fully support increased investment in cities, including ample and free mass transit. But the plain fact is that cars are often preferred by those who can afford it because they are . . . preferable. Fetishism, SUVs, and dead squirrels have nothing to do with it.

The only way to penalize car use is to make it more expensive -- gas tax, license, etc. If car costs are regressive, so too would penalties be. By all means make public transit cheaper -- there will be more room for us on the road. In the end, more people will take trips and accomplish some purpose, all to the good, but the roads will probably look much the same.

Don't forget -- without gasoline, cigarettes, and booze, there would be no Paul Newman movies and as a nation, we would probably succumb to vegetarianism. And you don't want that.

mbs