anti-WTO, left-right fuzziness and the free trade in BC weed

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Tue Sep 21 14:54:30 PDT 1999

While some of the problems raised in Angela's (THANX!) posts do manifest themselves here in Seattle, people do try to put aside their differences to work together. The "lead" local organizer is a female and a Marxist, one of the best strategizing organizers we have is from the People's Assembly from the Philippines [he's a freakin' genius], our lead youth organizer is also from the Philippines and a big fan of Sheila Rowbotham and Joni Seager [I "turned her on" to them]. From the Green side of the fractal we have an ex-World Bank economist [I think he bolted when Daly did] who is good friends with Bruce Rich, author of Mortgaging the Future and a guy who is working to stop the "free trade" in toxic waste because of what it's doing to indigenous communities and rural areas.

Our biggest headache is the guy from Nader's Tradewatch campaign, who's trying to play king of the hill with everybody else on just about everything [rumors are afloat that Nader might join the electoral circus while he's out here in November].

We had one whole monthly meeting [they average about 200+ people, although number is set to go way up, so we moved to bigger space] devoted to women, poverty and globalization, which was very moving, as we heard from Philippine women just what imperialism has done to their communities [sterilization's through immunization programs, black helicopters, exploitation by religious zealots trying to create and carve up markets in superstition, you name it]. We had one meeting on Agribusiness, food security and GMO's which got people real pissed and upset. Last week we had a woman from Canada come and speak about the GATS 2000 project and the attack on the public sector that the WTO is trying to lock-in [people got even more pissed when they heard that talk].

People are very worried about our racist police department going after visitors during the week of the meeting. We've requested public meetings before the event with the Seattle city council [which has a few Green Party members on it, which drives the mayor absolutely nutz!] Fortunately the town is known for choreographing non-violent protest, so if they break out the hoses, we'll have plenty of Mr. Bubble on hand.

David Korten lives right across the sound from Seattle, so naturally he has alot of fans here [I'm trying to tweak them, but I'm in the minority]. I'm wondering how to deal with the IFG folks when they come in the weekend before the ministerial because it shouldn't be too hard to ask some real pointed questions to pull the rug out from under their analysis -- suggestions welcome].

If we're going to be stuck with free and irresponsible capital mobility for the forseeable future, then we ought to liberalize all immigration laws. It will be painfully tragic for a while, but until we build starships we are all we've got.

Sometime in the 21st century economists and historians will come to see that free trade is to economic theory what phlogiston is to chemistry and physics. The rich are the real protectionists and free trade's twin brother has always been imperialism.

BC weed does not suck! and I'll take Oregon's Full Sail Ale [worker owned too!] over any Canadian brewmeister.

ian