East Timor, Kosovo, and Kuwait

W. Kiernan WKiernan at concentric.net
Tue Sep 21 16:40:52 PDT 1999

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. wrote:

> Yoshie,
> I think I'm overquota here, but the "one" was
> simply anybody who felt that way, e.g. that
> Iraq invading Kuwait was a progressive event,
> which some people thought and for which a
> case can indeed be made.

This post is kind of off the subject. A couple acquaintances of mine are Palestinians, who had for a few years been foreign workers in Kuwait. They'd probably not describe themselves as "progressives," by the way. Also, one time they were speaking to each other in a foreign language, and I asked them if that was Arabic, and they told me they knew how to speak Arabic, but no, they were talking to one another in Yiddish!

Anyway, they hate the Kuwaitis a lot, the way they phrase it is that the Kuwaitis "treated them like f***ing n*gg*rs" when they were there, and they told me that when Saddam invaded Kuwait they cheered and threw parties, because they were so happy that those Kuwaitis were getting their asses kicked. I wonder how foreign workers in Saudi Arabia feel about the Saudis?

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net