East Timor, Kosovo, and Kuwait

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue Sep 21 14:51:27 PDT 1999

Yoshie,

I think I'm overquota here, but the "one" was simply anybody who felt that way, e.g. that Iraq invading Kuwait was a progressive event, which some people thought and for which a case can indeed be made.

BTW, if you are thinking of hanging on me some support for the embargo against Iraq, let me state unequivocally that I do not support it. I am not a fan of Saddam Hussein, but the embargo against him has hurt the Iraqi population without affecting Saddam and his cronies in any serious way. There are actually elements of a progressive regime in place in Iraq, left over from before Saddam seized power and began wrecking things by idiotically invading his neighbors, something he started doing with Iran in 1981 (with some encouragement from the US, I might add). Those who think him extremely unlikely to have invaded Saudi Arabia should keep in mind that Iran is much more militarily powerful than is Saudi Arabia, and does not have much oil as Saudi Arabia. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Tuesday, September 21, 1999 4:07 PM Subject: Re: East Timor, Kosovo, and Kuwait