weeding out criminals

Martin Schiller mart555 at inow.com
Tue Sep 21 17:05:07 PDT 1999

kelley said on 9/21/99 2:53 PM

>and just how did you make this leap anyway, what makes you assume that it
>is primarily because mothers are unwilling to bear children or are afraid
>of bearing children that this has some sort of impact on proclivity toward
>crime? why bother to go the same route as the wankers from the chicago
>school by linking crime [and people's fear of crime] with abortion and, to
>top it off, by engaging in a discourse that presumes that women must be
>afraid or unwilling to have children if they have abortions.

I replied to this argument earlier. If the objective is to address necessary social issues like housing, health care and education and the full reange of understood social necessities and you can use the issue of abortion as and index or barometer to enact those programs, why not. It's a ready made focus issue.

>moreover, how is it possible for you to read minds now? you seem to think
>that if a woman initially doesn't want a child that if she has that child
>she'll continue to not want that child even after it's born.

Who could not love a little kid. But it's the mother's initial assessment of the situation that I give more credence to, and she probably made a solid judgement about her means and what sacrifices she'd have to make. My contention is that she shouldn't have to make those assessments in a society that supports mothering.

Martin