lbo-talk-digest V1 #1901

Paul Childs npchilds at connect.ab.ca
Tue Sep 21 19:06:44 PDT 1999

>BTW, Marijuana is now a (or, depending on the source, 'the') major =
>industry in British Columbia. It accounts for at least twice as much as =
>all the wholesale fisheries revenue in British Columbia combined (which =
>was once the major industry). This partially explains pots quasi-legal =
>status in BC and the civilized emergence of Hemp-cafes in downtown =
>Vancouver.
>=20
>It is also interesting to note that pot has become somewhat more of a =
>cause celebre for the Right in Canada, rather than for the Left. =20

It will become more of an issue as the boomers age and begin to get unpleasant chronic and terminal conditions and see marijuana as a source of pain relief, 'medical marijuana' as the saying goes. It supposedly also helps relieve the early symptoms of MS as well. Several court cases are pending here, unfortunately the first few cases have been lost by the smokers, although our esteemed federal minister of health has said he's willing to 'look' at the issue. Atta' boy, that'll delay tings for another 10 years..........

BTW, I heard a story the other night that made me think someone spiked my food with some of the herb. Hugh Downs, the reptilian co-anchor on whatever show it is he and Baba Wawa do is supposedly retiring, and will be announcing HIS support for medical marijuana for treatment of some conditions. Knowing the standard hypocrisy of liberal media he probably means for treatment of whatever it is HE has.

PC P Childs This address or: npc at amda.ab.ca Senior Health Economist (Health Policy and Economics) Alberta Medical Association 12230-106 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, T5N 3Z1

V: (780) 482-2626 F: (780) 482-5445