Newspaper fiction in WV

Dennis Breslin dbreslin at ctol.net
Sat Sep 25 06:58:39 PDT 1999

Tom Lehman wrote:

> I don't know how many of you have been reading the Harry Potter books;
> the highly promoted children's series. I find Harry to be a tough
> read. Especially aloud.
>
> I came across the following serialized children's story in the
> Charleston WV Gazette. I can't think of another newspaper that does
> this type of thing anymore. At one time newspaper published fiction was
> a big deal for both adults and children.
>
> This story for West Virginia readers takes place in Rhode Island. I
> guess Rhode Island is more mysterious than let's say Myrtle Beach, South
> Carolina. And probably a "cooler" place to visit if your from WV.
>
> http://wvgazette.com/news/Community/1999091720/
>
> http://wvgazette.com/news/Community/1999092423/
>
> Tom Lehman

I read parts of the first one aloud to my kids...not so much a problem...has a particular quaint British feel to the language that we more barbaric Americans find bothersome.

Rhode Island has been getting far too much media coverage of late. I dunno, here in the wilds of Southeastern Connecticut I think of Rhode Island as New Jersey North. Not much mystery there, 'cept what they put into the asphalt. I can't wait til David Kelly or whoever that is responsible for all the hip TV stuff gives another one of those dramedies, set perhaps in Union City? Wait, Glassboro!