George Thompson, was Re: Littleton: it's Adorno's fault

Sat Sep 25 21:40:34 PDT 1999

I agree with Jim on *The
>Human Essence*.

In my autodidactical studies, I looked for years for my copies of all three volumes--From Marx to Mao, Capitalism and After and the Human Essence. My interest in Thomson was sparked by interest in the intellectual relation he seems to have had with Alfred Sohn Rethel (anyone know more--where is Mark Jones?) I must say that I don't think the whole project hangs well together--elaboration of Engels' take on the basic problems of philosophy with the apologia of Mao and Stalin as Marx's heirs with the erudite and stimulating defense of the highest accomplishments of bourgeois culture and the classical world. But the suggestion of the relationship between metaphysics and the commodity form really though me for a loop. Most interesting. Yours, Rakesh