Americanization of global finance (cont.)

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Sat Sep 25 23:46:35 PDT 1999

i take it you guys have noticed that there are war drums being sounded in Asia as we speak, as well as a number of minor explosions (eg, indonesia and china), which may either turn out to be last gasps or precursors to a good old-fashioned keynsian destruction... i would be looking at changes to the Japanese constitution if you want to make connections between the financial and the political dimensions of hegemony.

me, i'm still inclined to go with dennis' estimations of the situation. US hegemony is kaput i tell ya, and the last ones to notice might well be those in the US. and is there no clearer indication of this than the Australian govt delivering the threat of breaking off military ties with the US unless the US at least appears to behave like the good hegemon it's always been? (well, not always, i think we forget it hasn't been always, and certainly not coincident with capitalism by any means... how long did it take the British imperial system to fall over? and there was no great moment when the US actually foreclosed on Britain was there, though Bretton Woods certainly seems to have had that effect, but there was a long history to even that moment, with a few monumental catastrophes along the way...

Angela _________