Snideness, and Marx on free trade

Oiboy27 at aol.com Oiboy27 at aol.com
Mon Sep 27 16:21:53 PDT 1999

<< You sure Lyn didn't send you? >>

I didn't intend to engage in a snideness contest, nor do I have the time and energy to, what with school and work. Yes, I work. I sell people organically grown produce. And I manage a staff. I would be surprised if many of the persons on this list who play with the ideologies I criticized earlier have had the experience of managing a staff. Or much experience in anything outside theorizing, reading bomb manuals, and failing to attract converts to their dubious causes. I work in a privately owned company. The owners are hardly members of a sinister capitalist class. They are intelligent and decent people. They have paid me an at least somewhat-decent salary for many years. And I treat my staff well accordingly. Hence my lack of extreme pessimism about worker-"boss" relations. Yes, it's a personal thing. Am I naive about many aspects of world capitalism because I've been treated well on the extremely small scale? Perhaps. Do I blame capitalism itself for all the evils the world contains? Not necessarily. No, Lyn didn't "send" me. As I said, I have no contact whatsoever with his organization aside from reading the cultural magazine they do on Aeschylus, Rembrandt, and the like. If I have seemed down on some aspect of revolutionary politics, perhaps I react to what I see as pie-in-the-sky-ism. My concern is with the assembly of popular support for a sensible progressive political base. By "sensible" I also mean realistic. Does this make sense? Or will I receive another snide reply?