Focus on the Corporation follow-up: Anti-Scofflaw Alert

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Mon Sep 27 20:29:43 PDT 1999

Funny to see this, since the Yale Law Workers Rights Project just started working on research in support of these regulations- a REALLY IMPORTANT issue, since this could potentially bar such union-busting, enviro-destroying, discriminating firms from $200 billion in contracts, a seriously large stick that the government has never used to enforce the laws of the land. As well, the regulations would bar companies from using money from any federal contract to resist unionization -- ie. all legal fees would have to come from private contracts or out of profits directly, no billing the government as is done today.

It is worth checking out the Chamber of Commerce site on the issue at http://www.noblacklisting.org which gives all the arguments for why the regulations are so great. They complain endlessly about how much this will strengthen unions.

--Nathan Newman