death list/The White Rocks M.P. Church graveyard

Tom Lehman TLEHMAN at lor.net
Mon Sep 27 21:02:40 PDT 1999

Since this was a big topic of discussion and research down at my old alma matter Rattlesnake U.; I'll get my two cents worth in on this one.

The United Church of Christ is and was a northern protestant church. The Disciples of Christ or so I have been told belong to the same conference as the United Church of Christ. One of the LBOers brought the Disciples of Christ up a while ago, and, I'm not into the fine points of this relationship. Locally Oberlin College is a United Church of Christ school; and is still in some ways the un-official United Church of Christ semminary and in the past was the official semminary.

The Methodists were pretty well fractured even before the Civil War. The two Methodist Churches that I am the most familiar with historically are the Methodist Episcopal Church South and the Methodist Protestant Church. There were a plethora of Methodist Churches in this country up until the formation of the United Methodist Church e.g. the Free Methodists etc.etc. The only differences I can see between the M.E. South and the M.P. Church was that the M.P.'s were Northern pro-union and had a little more humanistic humor in their view of race relations and a little more empathy to all parties involved.

This is all water over the dam anyway,

TL