death list

John K. Taber jktaber at dhc.net
Mon Sep 27 18:26:31 PDT 1999

"David Jennings [MSAI] said: < On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, John K. Taber wrote:

>Calvinism cuts both ways.
>
>Southern Protestants seem to take Calvin's predestination to mean
>that they are assured of God's grace. They believe that as born
>again Christians they are guaranteed salvation regardless of
>what they do.

I don't know where you're getting this. The most popular churches in the Southern US are not Calvinist. Also, those churches place a strong emphasis on the connection between professions of faith and salvation.

It wouldn't be the first time I was mistaken on this list.

I thought the Baptists were descendents of Calvinism. You're saying they're not? So, their belief in personal salvation because of being born again isn't grace but profession of faith? I'll be darned. I learn something on this list almost every day.

Also, I thought that in the South the Southern Methodists are the church of the upper class, while Southern Baptist and Church of Christ were middle and working class.

So, does grace have anything to do with Southern Baptists and Church of Christ?