death list

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 28 14:53:37 PDT 1999

> I would fully agree regarding the issue of
>church hierarchy and traditional positions within
>the Protestant churches vis a vis political/social
>issues. Thus the Episcopalians and the Lutherans
>tended to be very hierarchical and more pro-upper
>class.

That's news to me about Lutherans. The hierarchical inclinations of the Episcopalians are rooted in the notion of apostolic succession -- the idea that ordained clergy are more in the know, holiness-wise, because they are heirs to a laying-on-of-hands extending back to the original Apostles. The Catholics share in this same sacramental daisy chain but don't, to say the least, have a heck of a lot in common with Episcopalians otherwise.

(I hope I escape perdition for this e-mail. Doug's overposting-bot has already nailed me once today.)

Carl