Sweatshop Video

Sean Hayes shayes at ica.net
Tue Sep 28 21:22:52 PDT 1999

I'm not sure if you can get NFB (National Film Board of Canada) film's in the States (or wherever you are (?)), but if you can, you should definitely check their catalogue for what you are looking for. You can access most of it at www.nfb.ca .

One of my most recent favourites from the NFB, which may be just the ticket for your course, is Turbulences , by Carole Poliquin. Here's the abstract:

Abstract What happens when a butterfly flutters its wings? Does the air around it rumble and seethe, creating a hurricane on the other side of the globe? And when blue chip stocks suddenly plummet one day, how many workers lose their jobs or their pensions? The global market is not a neutral territory, but an unprecedented state of interconnections and interdependence. Circling the globe, director Carole Poliquin meets squatters in Paris, families living on welfare in Quebec, factory workers in Thailand, teachers in Ontario, fish processors in Senegal and debt-ridden Mexicans. She also interviews some of the market speculators and fund managers who help dictate economies world wide and yet, for the most part, remain indifferent to the consequences of their actions. Irreverent, witty and fearless, Turbulences highlights the unprecedented power of the financial markets and the threat they pose to democracy.