Canada's anti-corporate crusader

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 4 19:42:10 PDT 2000

Perhaps you are right but I think the description of her as a media meteor is probably more exact. She will be a bright star known to those who read the NY times etc. as the brightest face of the youthful Canadian left but will burn out just as quickly, as the media moves on to the next star. THere is also the point made by Carrol.

I think that authors such as McQuaig first established themselves and then were adopted by major media rather being mainly a media creation. McQuaig has written half a dozen books, numerous articles, and speaks all the time. Ironically she works for Conrad Black's National Post. Black said she ought to be horsewhipped for her leftist ideas--lucky Black was not in the UK.

I have asked around here. The only Klein that registers hereabouts is Ralph Klein. I thought that I must be out of it not to know about her but then the other Ken in hog town hadn't heard of her either. I have sent the piece to the Dimension Collective to see if they have any commentary. What makes you think she has reached a larger audience than Linda McQuaig? McQuaig has had several books on the best seller lists. Have you read Shoot the Hippo (1995) or The Cult of Impotence (1998)? What did you think of them?

My post was an immediate visceral reaction to the article. ON rereading it there are a few things that stand out as irritants:

"The resonance of Ms. Klein's ideas speaks volumes about how Canada sees itself today." Who is this Canada that sees itself in resonance with her ideas. Most Canadians have never heard of her or her ideas I expect.

According to the article our isolated national economy of the past is now being internationalised. This is certainly newsworthy. When did Canada ever have an isolated national economy? We were always dependent upon export, especially of natural resources, and for a considerable time a British Colony and dependentent upon British and later US. and other capital.

The article mentions our dependence upon foreign investors but does not single out US investment nor is their any mention of US imperialism in anything that Klein has to say either. Odd isn't it. This has been a significant thread in the Canadian left, nationalist (the Council of Canadians)and the Waffle ( Watkins et al) and even some internationalists (Chossudovsky)

As for handing out devices for cutting out designer labels on your clothes, that is really pitiful. Only people who buy fashion labels are in a position to cut them off. If successful she will be hired to promote no-name brand fashion wares for the chic left. Does she promote the idea that one should buy clothes only with union labels by the way?

Of course I agree with her campaign against sweatshops but I expect that they are not the preserve of a select group of big brand names.

Cheers, Ken Hanly