Gary Teeple (was Re: Canada's anti-corporate crusader)

Sam Pawlett rsp at uniserve.com
Wed Apr 5 17:33:20 PDT 2000

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Ken Hanly mentioned:
> >Gary Teeple
>
> I have a book that Gary Teeple wrote, _Globalization and the Decline of
> Social Reform_ (Toronto: Garamond Press, 1995; published in the USA by
> Humanities Press). I don't know how many copies of the book have been
> sold...5,000, at most? Anything that gets published by Humanities Press
> has no chance of getting on a bestseller list in America, for sure.

I studied Marx and some other things with Gary. He has another quite interesting book on the early Marx and he edited an excellent though dated collection on Canadian nationalism and class structure. I think his analysis is good, but he is way too pessimistic falling into a kind of paralysis where Capital is so strong that resistance and alternatives are not likely.

Sam P