Sowing Dragons

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Fri Apr 7 04:36:30 PDT 2000

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Rakesh Bhandari wrote:

> post Cold War the protection lent to the favored NICS. At any rate,
> Dennis, I am just baffled about how you can be such an enthusiast for that
> Frankfurt critic of technology and the totally administered society and at
> the same celebrate the worse kinds of capital accumulation from the
> perspective of labor and the environment.

Worse compared to what? You'd rather, then, that South Korea be consigned to Brazilian-style underdevelopment? My point would be that the developmental state is to the global Left what the Soviet Union was to the 20th century Left: the limit-point of Third World praxis, which you have to creatively engage, push in a radical direction, etc. To fight the total system, you solidarize with its global contradictions, and one of its biggest is the clash between the neoliberals and the developmental states they would like to annihilate.

-- Dennis