WSJ on A16

John Kawakami johnk at cyberjava.com
Fri Apr 7 18:51:02 PDT 2000

Check out this article about the same topic, but from a progressive's viewpoint:

http://www.arc.org/C_Lines/CLArchive/story3_1_02.html

Face up to the facts: the radical left IS very white, and the ones who will fly to A16 will be even whiter than your typical activist. Why? Well, I'm not hardcore -- but even if I were, I can't go because I have to work. Granted, I make good money and can afford to go, and it's not like some kind of socially important job, but I have to work. I want the money. I want the money, because, like most people in the less-educated less-white strata, there are *other* people relying on me making this money.

The other reasons why it's hard to work with the stereotypical euro-american activist group:

* white guys with dreads don't shower enough

* feel ostracised for wearing sleek, expensive clothes

* don't like punk rock shows

* not studying at university

* long meetings suck

* consensus process is bogus; the tall white dude usually wins, as usual

* what's wrong with shopping?

* have no scary piercings to show off