this is progressive?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Apr 13 09:23:01 PDT 2000

Max Sawicky wrote:

>Labor's campaign has zero to do with the history of
>U.S. militarism in Asia. All of the fulminations on
>this list have no connection with what is happening
>on the ground in Washington this week. There's an
>evolving movement, and you ain't in it. Tough.
>Either shape up or find a hobby.

Hey, Max, wait a minute. You mean you can't be part of this evolving movement - I like to think of myself as a member - and be critical of it too? What the hell is Pat Buchanan doing at a labor rally? By definition, anywhere he is isn't a sideshow - he's a major political figure. You don't invite him to speak without making a statement by his presence. Becker's rhetoric is hideous too. You can criticize the Chinese regime without sounding like a xenophobe. The history of American economic nationalism is deeply wrapped up with Yellow Perilism, and it does no good to deny that. Workers of the world unite, man.

Doug