China-MFN rally (re: this is progressive?

Russell Grinker grinker at mweb.co.za
Fri Apr 14 00:19:32 PDT 2000

From: Nathan Newman

>Yes, Becker's speech was pretty odious and many of the others were too
>nationalist from my viewpoint, but many of the speeches were clearly
>anti-corporate, anti-US government, and pro debt relief and workers rights
>globally.

Too nationalist? So what is the right amount then?

As an observer outside the US, why do I keep getting a sneaking suspicion that some on this list identifying themselves with "labour" or "the working class", still believe that America has some superior civilising mission and a duty to sort out the rest of us? Looks to me like a new brand of humanitarian social chauvinism.