Media Cops!

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sun Apr 16 13:58:15 PDT 2000

On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Maria Gilmore wrote:
>
> > they thought they
> > were getting all kinds of big-media attention. Which I thought was
> > strange, because I wasn't seeing gobs of coverage in any mainstream media
> > out here in the Midwest, and I WORK in the media.
>
> Yes -- with one qualification. Earlier in the week the Chicago Tribune
> gave loud front page coverage to one tiny aspect of the week's
> events. A huge photo of Anti-China signs labelled UAW! Readers
> of the Tribune will see the whole week as dividing into some
> anti-China workers and some kids who made trouble and were
> perhaps treated badly on the weekend. No issues.
>
> Carrol

And this problem will continue as long as this movements' leaders don't sit down and think seriously about the wisdom of slogans that most American people can't relate to, i.e. Cold War imagery, protectionism, anti-China stereotypes (there was a photo on the front page of Boston Globe or another big 5 East Coast paper of young women in some skit wearing Red Guard Cultural Revolution garb...way to show how in touch the mv't is with *today*'s China?)...The media will have a field day with such gifts from Mana....

Steve