My household's contribution to the struggle

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com
Tue Apr 18 03:00:15 PDT 2000

I thought I'd share this with you all, as it seems both curiously relevant to all manner of threads, and extremely weird.

It appears that while Chuck0 is fighting the power, my beloved girlfriend Tess has been feeding it cake. At the moment and for the last five weeks, the darling girlf has been in Vietnam, recording stuff for the BBC (with her friend, a minor descendant of Romanian royalty, but enough of that). All of the following is my understanding, based on garbled telephone conversations, but I believe it to be substantially true.

When she rocked up to Hanoi, Tess found it annoyingly bereft of quirky local human-interest stories. So, for reasons which I would not claim to understand, for the last week, she's been organising and promoting "The Great Hanoi Cake-Banking Contest", to be judged by His Excellency the French Ambassador tomorrow. They're going to be holding it at the Hanoi Hilton (not that one, the actual Hilton hotel in Hanoi).

Among the star guests are the local representatives of *both* the IMF *and* the World Bank! They've not yet got onto the judging panel, but apparently they're going to be walking round tasting the cakes along with the local dignitaries. I can only assume that there's not a lot going on in Vietnam for them at the moment. Do I get a prize for feeding Communist patisserie to the New World Government? Or does this qualify as "weak shit" (I suppose it probably does).

God knows how this will develop . . . . .

dd

_____

This email is confidential to the ordinary user of the

e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you are not

the intended recipient, please notify the sender

immediately on (44) 20 7638 5858 and delete the message

from all locations in your computer. You should not copy

this email or use it for any purpose, or disclose its

contents to any person : to do so may be unlawful.

Email is an informal method of communication and is

subject to possible data corruption, either accidentally

or on purpose. Flemings is unable to exercise control

over the content of information contained in

transmissions made via the Internet. For these reasons

it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information

contained on email without obtaining written confirmation

of it.