Murder of North Korean Prisoners of War

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 21 17:02:00 PDT 2000

Now, where are leftists on LBO-talk demanding that America, Japan, etc. make reparations for North Korea??? All these posts about how "weird" North Korea is must be an effect of "unconscious repression" of American atrocities committed during the "Forgotten War," as psychoanalysts might say. Hey, they are "Stalinists," so what should we care if we killed them? We got nothing to feel guilty about! No apology!

Imperial amnesia & complacency have been a more powerful force of brainwashing than any propaganda that North Koreans ever came up with. Yoshie

***** From: "Sol Dollinger" <soldoll at inreach.com> To: <Marxism at lists.panix.com> Subject: Murder of North Korean prisoners of war. Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:50:32 -0700

A headline in the Los Angeles Times

*S.Korea Shot Prisoners During War, Reports Say*

More than two thousand prisoners of war shot often while American officers photographed the gruesome action. The article confirms that Supreme Commander Douglas MacArthur had received official notification of one of the many massacres.

This information was disclosed when the Associated Press investigated the events at No Gun Ri where witnesses reported the execution of 400 Koreans, many of them civilians, by the U. S. forces July 26-29, 1950.

The earlier executions were found by Lee Do Young at the National Archives and published in a Seoul Newspaper Hankook Ilbo in January. A U.S. attache at the American Embassy, Lt.. Col. Bob E. Edwards reported the execution of 1800 prisoners that the South Koreans labeled political prisoners over a three day period at Taejon. Photographs and reports were sent to Washington.

Researcher, Lee, a U.S. educated psychologist, reported that among the executed were students, teachers and children. Lee blames the American authorities as well as the South Korean officers.

*The Americans cannot escape the charge that they condoned, if not supported, the massacres. After all, these soldiers killed these people with rifles and bullets that the Americans gave them, while the American officers stood behind their backs taking pictures.*

Lee lost his father, a government official, among the 210 killed by police and soldiers on August 20, 1950 on the southern island of Cheju. *****