Giving Shiva fits was Re: my report from DC

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Wed Apr 19 17:22:43 PDT 2000

Shiva also reacted angrily in a letter to Oxfam when the latter suggested that there might be a positive use for GE. The Oxfam release supported a ban on new GE varieties until further research shows them to be safe but it also suggested that GE research should be directed to helping subsistence farmers and gave as an example production of drought resistant plants for areas in Africa that regularly experience drought conditions.

Does anyone have any knowledge of Shiva's relationship to the Chipko movement? Apparently that movement changed direction considerably after Shiva and other enivironmentalists became involved. Shiva's interpretation of the original movement is apparently way off base as well. Both males and females were involved from the first and the motivation was economic rather than environmental. Locals wanted rights to fell that had been going to non-locals. They were interested in using the forest. One group was a local co-op implement maker. The peasants wanted to get firewood. Later on the emphasis of environmentalists who intervened apparently stressed forest preservation etc. Anyone know much about this?

Has anyone criticised her feminist views, particularly her stress upon caring and nurturing as part of woman's "nature"? Not only does this ignore the manner in which woman's "nature" is a function of cultural factors and historically conditioned but it also picks out characteristics used to stereotype women in highly patriarchal societies

Cheers, Ken Hanly