Salon on Steelworker "Boss" Becker at A16

Tue Apr 18 10:01:30 PDT 2000

>>> "Mark Rickling" <rickling at mailandnews.com> 04/18/00 01:16AM >>>

Labor meets the granola crunchers

"These are very beautiful, idealistic kids," says United Steelworkers boss George Becker.

- - - - - - - - - - - - By Daryl Lindsey

It's the morning of the biggest protest against the IMF and World Bank in Washington, and I'm waiting in a hotel lobby for one of the movement's unlikeliest leaders: United Steelworkers of America president George Becker. The Steelworkers leading man is running a few minutes late -- he's been working out and making final arrangements for the day's events.

We scurry through the lobby and pile into a cab, racing off to the Ellipse, which sprawls between the Washington Monument and the White House, where the union leader, who has led the charge to halt the expansion of trade with China, is to give a speech before an audience of 10,000 students and union members on the perils of globalization.

CB: Now that's more like it.

CB