Labor's Failure in D.C.

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 20 06:38:25 PDT 2000

My tirade (meager as it was) wasn't directed spec. at mbs -- just all who use "white kids" to dismiss some very committed activists. And, as a side note, several I talked to were very conscious that it was their white skin privilege that allowed them to face up to the cops. So they see their role rather clearly. CK

----- Original Message ----- From: Charles Brown <CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2000 2:16 PM Subject: RE: Labor's Failure in D.C.

> . . . I'm getting pretty sick and tired of people
> denouncing the N30/A16 activists as "young white kids."
> >>>>

> [mbs] I think I only said that once, so your patience is
> short. ....
> ________
>
> CB: What a bullshit response from mbs.
> You go, young , white radicals !
>

> [mbs] when I was young and foolish I appreciated
> being patronized by my radical, uncritical elders.
> Later I resented it, since it's possible I wouldn't
> have done as many goofy things.

> CB: I'm the wise old, radical patron on this point. Your mocking these
comrades for their "whiteness" is not progressive or prudent. There being white is not "goofy". There going ahead and using direct action against the power structure , and not worrying about their racial composition is correct in this instance. Your mention of it as a reason to stop doing what they are doing is off, bad advice. In fact , they are using the fact that the police are likely to be easier on an all white group to the advantage of the movement. The police are in a nasty mood toward Black people these days. So, these white comrades have taken on the front line work.