Washington Post on A16

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com
Thu Apr 20 08:23:58 PDT 2000

>>Brad, please let me know what you think about the US default in the 19th
>>C. as a model.
>>--
>>Michael Perelman

>We tried that in the 1980s with Latin America. It didn't work so
>well. Economic development essentially froze for five years as
>everyone waited to see what the resolution would be.

>Much better to clean up government and private enterprise balance
>sheets quickly...

>Brad DeLong

I disagree that the 1980s were comparable with the US default (Latin American states also defaulted in the 19th century, with much less effect on development). There is all the difference in the world between a default on bank debt, with a creditor's cartel formed to make the borrowers take the pain, and a default on bond debt with no IMF to maintain the cartel. In the second case, private creditors bear a lot of the burden that is otherwise borne by depositors (cf the First Barings Crisis). Even in the era of gunboat diplomacy, the Palmerston Doctrine (that investors who had bought overseas bonds instead of Gilts should not expect the British Government to guarantee their high returns) meant that in the event of default, bondholders were, in the chraming phrase I learend last week, shit out of luck. The 1980s crisis was made very much worse by the IMF and WB's insistence on full payment for themselves, and their support of excessively protracted default processes for private creditors.

One of the bond issues which the Council of the Corporation of Foreign Bondholders never got paid on was a series of bonds raised by the State of Mississipi, which they were still hoping for payment on when they dissolved. This was *after* they'd got token payment on the Czar's bonds!

dd

_____

This email is confidential to the ordinary user of the

e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you are not

the intended recipient, please notify the sender

immediately on (44) 20 7638 5858 and delete the message

from all locations in your computer. You should not copy

this email or use it for any purpose, or disclose its

contents to any person : to do so may be unlawful.

Email is an informal method of communication and is

subject to possible data corruption, either accidentally

or on purpose. Flemings is unable to exercise control

over the content of information contained in

transmissions made via the Internet. For these reasons

it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information

contained on email without obtaining written confirmation

of it.