Washington Post on A16

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Apr 20 08:55:11 PDT 2000

Brad De Long wrote:

>And the real puzzle is why the "left" is for the abolition
>of--imperfect--institutions of collective self-management
>responsible to democratically-elected governments

The IMF is responsible mainly to the U.S. Treasury, and to a much lesser extent the EU and an even lesser extent Japan. That's what, 15-20% of the world's population? The other 80-85% are merely dictated to. And I won't even bring up the lack of accountability on the Treasury's part to the U.S. population.

Doug