Washington Post on A16

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Apr 20 09:51:07 PDT 2000

Brad De Long wrote:

>Is there space for a political platform that would quadruple the
>IMF's resources and require it to worry about the maintenance of
>near full employment during structural adjustment? I don't see it...

Do you think the U.S. Treasury would ever stand for this? The IMF of your dreams would not survive a moment's exposure to Larry Summers (and leave Dick Armey out of this). To use some intemperate, old-fashioned language, how can you reconcile your IMF with the demands of U.S. imperial interests?

Doug