Harper's article on radicals

John Kawakami johnk at cyberjava.com
Sat Apr 22 08:56:46 PDT 2000

Notes From Underground Among the Radicals of the Pacific Northwest by David Samuels

(no, I didn't type it in)

Anyway, this is one of the first mainstream portraits I've seen of the anarchist/activist scene, on Eugene in particular. It's got a lot of the usual Harper's snickering and grinning and heat-and-serve analysis. Samuels did a hit piece on Woodstock 99 several months ago. I guess he's their Mark Twain reporting on the underground. (Maybe they'll send him out to do tours of ethnic groups :-)