Hayeking

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Sat Apr 22 21:08:37 PDT 2000

Justin,

You state that "the market punishes lies in the end..." but I wonder whether this is so especially as regards the price system as elaborated by rational expectations and all it's variations. This is not to say the price system lies in the form of deliberate deception [fetishistic], but that it is hopelessly incomplete with regards social and ecological information and costs. As Hayek, Coase and their disciples don't seem to make note of any environmental or ecological texts [books, journal citations etc.], it's virtually impossible to believe those doctrines have any representational validity whatsoever.

It would seem that one of the tasks for those who want to reconfigure the meanings we associate with planning could start at those institutions [or lack thereof] that would coerce firms and markets to get prices to tell the ecological truth. Labor process theorists have shown how problematic marginal productivity is for measuring the suspension of the price system internal to firms. If ever there was a program of research for reds and greens to get together on it is the utter deconstruction of "total factor productivity". A recent text, "Planning Sustainability" [Michael Kenny and James Meadowcroft, Routledge] makes a good first stab at framing the issues in light of all twentieth century planning failures. It definitely takes up issues that Hayek addressed and notes that his own views entailed planning for property rights regimes, judicial prerogatives etc.

Given that the current regimes of power don't allow for an accurate way of analyzing costs and that economic theory is at both a methodological and political impasse over how to ascertain costs as well, perhaps anti-capitalists [I think recent events have proved that there's more than one hundred of us] should discuss what kinds of institutions could plan how to tackle the issues. Three of the greatest tragedies of the last century involved extensive planning; those who were better at it "won". The IMF/WB/WTO all engage in extensive planning, as does the Pentagon and a whole lot of other institutions that are "steering" us towards a slow motion ecocide. One of the big questions of this century is, how do we plan incentives, property rights and production processes that are productive of justice and give us a glimmering of what sustainability might look like as we in the north slowly wake up from our credit/debt induced narcissism and narcolepsy?

Ian