East Timor as a UN Colony

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Apr 22 22:37:12 PDT 2000

"Peter K." wrote:

> I realize that's a Hobson's Choice, but what should the left, here
> . . . do now. Advocate . . .

The word "Advocate" in this context is wrong. The Left (at least as of now) can only *oppose*. Advocacy for this that or the other policy in foreign affairs will, in practice, only lend support for u.s. imperialist policies. All action by the u.s. beyond its own borders must be opposed by the u.s. left. It is by building movements *against* (e.g., by opposing the existence of the World Bank or IMF or WTO rather than proposing reforms) that the left can create itself. This is one of the reasons that for the present I've ceased wrangling with the anarchists. However hopeless anarchist politics are in the long run, they are often a good place to start in building a leftist movement.

Carrol