RES: a trip to North Korea

Jacob Segal jpsegal at rcn.com
Tue Apr 25 08:50:28 PDT 2000

>Interesting too for Yoshie to compare the cult of personality in North
>Korea to the cult of the Founding Fathers in the US, but I do think that
>the cult in North Korea is of a seriously greater intensity and allow for
>no dissent at all.
>
>________________
>
>CB: How about the slaves the Founding Fathers like Jefferson and
>Washington owned ? Did they have any power to dissent ? How about the
>Native Americans ? Did the Founding Fathers allow them to dissent ? How
>about the all of the white women who couldn't vote ?
>
>How ridiculous to claim that a genocidal,slave , male supremecist system
>allowed more dissent than N. Korea 2000.
>
>CB

Surely it is obviously I meant contemporary US society. Clearly, the US as a slave society and genicidal towards native-Americans was much worse than Communist North Korea.

Question for Charles Brown: When you speak of Cuban democracy it seems to me that the "Cuban people" become a homogenous groups without internal disagreements and division. Democracy without disagreement is no democracy at all, which is the problem with US democracy, as you correcly point out. The construction of a Cuban people this way reminds me of the jinogistic assertion of the will of the American People, again understood as a single entity.

Jacob Segal