Turnover of capital

Bruce Robinson bruce.rob at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 25 08:47:00 PDT 2000

Does anyone know of any statistics that give reliable approximations to the rate of turnover of the various forms of capital, both in financial and time terms? My assumption is that it has increased pretty rapidly over the last 20 years or so, as a result of competition and rapid technological change. I know product cycles have shrunk dramatically.

I'd also like to know whether the consequences have been: (a) more rapid writing off of obsolescent fixed capital; (b) adjustment through use of more flexible (computerised) forms of fixed capital which can be adapted to the need to change; (c) a more rapid forcing out of firms that have a higher than average organic composition and cannot adjust. I expect it's some combination of the three. Can anyone help or point me towards any sources of information on this?

Thanks.

Bruce Robinson