zero tolerance

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 26 14:26:31 PDT 2000

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>So is to be done to fight that injustice? Abolish penalty for violent
>crime altogether, as the Loonie Left seems to suggest, or bring the
>sentences given to white criminals to the level served by their black and
>hispanic cronies?

Public executions, say? While the home teams are on the road, we could put some depraved criminals on the field, maybe along with some of those loonie apologists and some ACLU lawyers, torture them extravagntly (the opening of Foucault's Discipline & Punish is lovely, don't you think? let's bring back drawing & quartering! boiling oil & pincers!), and then execute them. No wussy lethal injections, either. Hangings are nice. Or maybe the crowd could vote on the length of the torture and the mode of execution. Bring mass enjoyment and spectacle back into criminal justice! It's been too professionalized, don't you think?

Doug