zero tolerance

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Apr 26 15:24:57 PDT 2000

. . . Or maybe the crowd could vote on the length of the torture and the mode of execution. Bring mass enjoyment and spectacle back into criminal justice! It's been too professionalized, don't you think? Doug

There's a better way which simultaneously solves the problems of gun control, animal rights, and ecological damage. I am personally offended by hunting, especially when done w/firearms. It's not a fair fight. Therefore I propose to arm those sentenced to capital punishment with weapons of limited but lethal effectiveness (i.e., cudgels, axes, machetes, pistols) and turn them loose in an enclosed reservation. Hunting would be regulated so that the individual sportsman/prey would be permitted to venture into these spaces and seek out human prey/hunters with some wherewithal to defend themselves, unlike ducks and deer. Hunters would be barred from using especially sophisticated weapons (i.e., no automatic weapons) or going in large groups. Dangerous animal predators -- bears, lions, poisonous snakes, Komodo dragons -- could be included for the sake of variety.

The whole thing could easily be financed by auctioning off the rights to television (i.e., Running Man) and product spin-offs.

Other possibilities: legislative proposals for U.S. military intervention would require Members of Congress and their staffs to participate in hunting exercises. Similarly, private citizens could file suit against those who make egregious public appeals for military intervention, as well as against those who oppose intervention in cases where it is clearly justified to prevent atrocities or genocide.

Another thing I don't like -- fur coats. To acquire a license to purchase a fur coat, we could require applicants to live for a couple of days on an animals-only site in cabins with the usual amenities but no doors.

Public policy is my life.

mbs