Zizek: film reviewer

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Thu Apr 27 18:42:36 PDT 2000

kelley flatters...

>but hold on a sec! is this a ref to my concern of several years ago when
>i didn't understanding what "reading" meant. i was serious back
>then??!! snitgrrRlishly so, but quite serious. but thanks to your
>tuteledge i use the word. perhaps indiscriminately at times even. :)
>
>otoh, i'm the only one neurotic enough to have that kind of memory,
>so....now i want to know why the idea of me popped up in this
>context. narcissistic like that, too. heh.

we once argued quite heatedly about people you identified as 'litcritters' indiscriminately 'reading' things, which you saw as a decontextualisation and lack of respect for various social elements of the object being studied

i'm sending myself up too i suppose given that i give lectures on what's wrong with 'textual analysis' but i don't think there's anything much at all wrong with reading, and indeed don't think there's a better way to account for how we interpret absolutely everything we observe or think about

Catherine