Cuba all set for another bumper sugarcane crop

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 28 09:23:11 PDT 2000

Perhaps Paul Phillips has some information on this. A woman I talked with recently who just returned from Cuba claims that there is a conflict between Castro and many agriculture officials. As for newer fertlizer, Cuba does not have the foreign exchange to purchase it. There is even a movement to use "animal power" to reduce the use of fuel. There has been a more "green" agricultural policy and a more diversified base since the collapse of the Soviet Union. Some Canadian cattle farmers have been involved in diversifying the cattle industry. Castro wants to increase sugar production against the wishes of many officials who want to diversify, concentrate more on food supply and less on export staples I expect there is much less land devoted to sugar production than in the heady days of subsidized prices of sugar bought by the Soviets..

Cheers, Ken Hanly