USA: More Repressive Than North Korea (was Re: RES: a trip to North Korea)

W. Kiernan WKiernan at concentric.net
Sun Apr 30 11:09:44 PDT 2000

Jim heartfield wrote:

> To put it bluntly, I don't see a rush of people migrating to North
> Korean from the US, but I do see people migrating from East Asia to
> the US. Can they be so deluded?

No, they are so poor. They're not stupid or deluded, they've come here for the cold hard cash. People come from East Asia, and Mexico and Haiti and Cuba, to the U.S.A., because in the U.S.A. they can make a whole lot more money and have a whole lot more material goods than in their native countries. You see the same thing in the Middle East, where "guest workers" from poor countries sell themselves into virtual slavery in Kuwait or Saudi Arabia, because the pay is comparitively so high. If freedom were the main issue, then why would so many East Asians voluntarily pay smugglers large sums to transport them to the U.S.A. so they can work as illegal aliens in locked sweatshops here, where they can't even go for a walk under the open sky without fear of arrest and deportation?

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net