McChesney: Why I'm Voting for Ralph

Eric Beck rayrena at mail.accesshub.net
Fri Aug 11 12:06:00 PDT 2000

Max Sawicky wrote:

>>Doesn't it depend on what a person is denying himself or herself and for
>>what purpose? The last sentence of Eric's comments seem to be a non
>>sequiter. Michael Yates
>
>I should say so. Since we can't very well exalt
>conspicuous consumption and constant treachery
>as virtues, by that logic Ralph can't win either way.

But why, in politics, should one exalt another's personal qualities (even if they are virtuous) at all? They're irrelevant, and I for one am sort of uncomfortable with the great-man/cult-of-personality politics that such exaltation usually leads to. Besides, it doesn't take much creativity to turn exaltation into condemnation, which might engender a moralistic crusade like, I don't know, say, the impeachment of a president.

Eric