Laying Bets: W Will Win

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Tue Aug 15 07:01:19 PDT 2000

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000 09:28:47 -0400 (EDT) Nathan Newman <nathan.newman at yale.edu> wrote:

> Any counter bets/predictions?

I suspect the Democrats will win, and predict that Gore's speech will be 'good enough' to pass the snooze test. There is something of an "event" (an opening of symbolic space) with the Democrats winning... Wouldn't this be the first time that the Democrats win three in a row? and with Lieberman on board, there is the symbolic veil of plurality. Despite the Republican support, I think there is a general feeling that their party stands for a kind of social regression... and I don't think nostalgia is selling as well as it used to. I'm amazed however by how much the media 'constructs' my opinion for me. After hearing comments about Clinton's speech it prompted all kinds of second guessing about how entertaining it actually was. *Crucial* to the election, I think, will be how the media 'stages' Gore's speech (hell, assuming that any of this is relevant to anyone!). If the 'media' says he failed, then the Republican vote will likely rise... if he passes then the Democrats will likely continue their upward spiral. And if he does well... well well well.

And, despite everything... I must admit, Clinton is an excellent speaker. He's entertaining as hell to watch and he's got that devilish grin which makes me want to wink at someone.

I have no taste.

ken