Laying Bets: W Will Win

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Tue Aug 15 10:03:48 PDT 2000

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000 16:28:35 GMT Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Nope, nothing political that I can see. It's all show biz, as you yourself
> suggested, Doug, just a few posts ago: "What was with that set-up shot of
> him [Clinton] walking down the corridor to the podium? It was like something
> out of Letterman." And yes, I find all the contrivances of the Dems v. GOP
> show as deadly dull as those of the Letterman show.

It only has the appearance of show biz. The business is a deadly business, and the political and economic agenda (ie. the folks with already existing steering mechanisms) are being set and played here. Deadly boring perhaps, but of vital importance. The show biz of electorial games is radically political. We risk missing a great deal if we relegate politics to what is happening on the streets. Yes, that's political too. Who says 'politics' has to look like "politics?"

The Democratic Convention might look like a mindless political rally, it might sound like a mindless political rally, but don't be fooled - it is a mindless political rally!

ken