Laying Bets: W Will Win

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Tue Aug 15 10:45:28 PDT 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

> ----------

---

I have one. As election day draws nearer, I foresee a sharp increase in frantic, unprincipled party hackery and spinmaking by surrogates and coat-holders for each of our two political parties. I also predict that Al Gore will will the election. Nathan, would you like to bet?

Since the above post contains some kind of subliminal message against voting for Nader, I'd like to highlight a point made by Dean Baker in a letter in this week's Nation. Dean reasons that Nader's chances of hurting Gore in any serious way are slim.

The argument goes like this: Let's say Nader gets 10 percent of the popular vote. That's wildly optimistic. It's reasonable to assume that about 30% of Nader voters wouldn't have otherwise voted for Gore *or* Bush -- they would have stayed home or voted for another third party.

So Nader actually takes 7 percentage points away from the two parties. Most polls, Dean says, show Nader taking 2 votes from Gore from every 1 vote from Bush. So out of 7 percentage points, Nader takes 4.6% from Gore and 2.3% from Bush.

That gives Bush only a 2.3% advantage -- a margin that would not have come close to affecting the outcome of any of the last 5 presidential races and would have changed the outcome of only 3 of the last 20 presidential races.

Nathan, what do you say? Would you put your money where your mouth is? Or maybe a case of Elephant Lager?

Seth