Greatest Presidents Since WW II

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 15 11:37:55 PDT 2000

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> Carrol may want to ignore this...
>
>Doug, it's amazing how much you and Mark Jones resemble each other. Both
>of you exhibit the essence of all dogmatisms: the unexamined assumption
>that there is a direct relation between the highest level of theory and
>practice. Mark repeats over and over again that the energy is running
>out, but refuses to embody it in any systematic political practice. You
>endlessly repeat, "Workers of the world, Unite," but refuse to even think
>about how that can be embodied in concrete practice.

This is a weird claim. I've had plenty of qualifiedly positive things to say about the internationalist turn in U.S. unions. I'm very excited by all the new forms of global organizing that have popped up over the last several years. I've been criticized on this very list for both positions - the first for failing to recognize that the AFL-CIO is little more than puppets for capital, and the second, for failing to recognize that the kids are just a bunch of atheoretical anarchists with exotic facial jewelry.

Doug