Finkelstein's background

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Aug 17 00:32:58 PDT 2000

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Max Sawicky wrote:
>
> >Also the Wieseltier quotes. You know Norman's doing
> >something right.
>
> He is. Norman's a thoroughly admirable guy. In the mid-80s, he pretty
> much destroyed Joan Peters' preposterous book From Time Immemorial,
> which claimed there weren't any Palestinians in Palestine in the
> 1940s. A few years ago, he pretty much destroyed Daniel Goldhagen. He
> did both jobs by, among other things, looking up the original sources
> both cited and found serious, um, misrepresentations.

Unfortunately, though, this book isn't as good as those books. Unless I'm missing something, he makes several awful misrepresentations himself in his essay on the Swiss banking affair. There are some good points, but for me at least, they were overwhelmed by its failings. This is why I was originally wondering about his background. I thought some of the more inexplicable parts of his argument might make biographical sense.

Michael