Finkelstein's background

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Aug 23 20:00:55 PDT 2000

>Max Sawicky wrote:
>
>>Also the Wieseltier quotes. You know Norman's doing
>>something right.
>
>He is. Norman's a thoroughly admirable guy. In the mid-80s, he
>pretty much destroyed Joan Peters' preposterous book From Time
>Immemorial, which claimed there weren't any Palestinians in
>Palestine in the 1940s. A few years ago, he pretty much destroyed
>Daniel Goldhagen. He did both jobs by, among other things, looking
>up the original sources both cited and found serious, um,
>misrepresentations. For this noble work, Norman has earned himself
>obscurity and poverty. Peters, though, completely disappeared from
>view, and Goldhagen has turned into an embarrassment for Harvard.
>
>Doug

Details as to Goldhagen's misrepresentations? I ask because I concluded on page 13 of _A Nation on Trial_ that Finkelstein had lost his mind when he claimed that "Touted as a searing indictment of Germans, Goldhagen's thesis is, in fact, their perfect alibi". That seemed to me to be just plain weird...

Brad DeLong